Friday, September 19, 2014

The Best Tuna Salad (Mayo-Free)

I love mayonnaise.

In elementary school, I dunked soggy fries in piles of the stuff. I'd snatch a handful of those little pasteurized packets at the end of the lunch line and squeeze it out on whatever I pleased later that day. I'm not ashamed (well, maybe a little ashamed) to admit that I have probably squeezed mayo right into my mouth. It just adds the perfect texture and flavor to things!

Tuna salad, while being pretty good when mayo is involved, is one of those rare items that I believe tastes way better without.


My tuna salad consists of the following: ripe tomatoes, cucumbers, parsley (and whatever other fresh herbs I have), green onions, salt and freshly cracked black pepper, a couple generous glugs of extra virgin olive oil, fresh lemon juice and topped with a fabulous hot sauce. 

Voila! Healthy, delicious, refreshing tuna salad. I prefer this tuna salad because I always feel good after eating it. There are way more veggies than in its mayo-laced counterpart (a smattering of celery doesn't count as a serving of vegetables) and I can taste each ingredient clearly. Lemon juice brightens, olive oil adds delicious fats and hot sauce kicks everything up a notch. 

Next time you've got a can of tuna and some veggies on hand, give this tuna salad a try. 

Hint: It's excellent piled on good crusty bread and topped with a slice of provolone. 
I always just devour it with a fork.

No comments:

Post a Comment