Monday, July 21, 2014

Cherry Clafouti

Wondering what to make when guests are expected in half an hour and all you've got is a bag of cherries in the fridge?
I, too, found myself in this predicament one beautiful summer evening. My brain flitted back to a post I'd seen on the legendary Ruth Reichl's blog about sour cherry clafoutis and I decided to find a recipe and whip up this classic French dessert. Clafoutis is traditionally made with sour cherries, but I made do with the sweet Bings I had on hand. I also had no cherry pitter, so rather than fumble around with some sort of inefficient homespun method of getting the stones out I just plopped those bad boys right in the batter, whole and beautiful. As a child I always thought it a good time to spit out the pits while enjoying cherries and my guests certainly enjoyed the dessert no less. It came out of the oven puffy and gorgeous and took its time deflating.

After the clafoutis cooled for 5 minutes I drizzled some raw Ohio honey on top in place of confectioner's sugar. I recommend the honey :)


Cherry Clafoutis

(recipe is modified from SAVEUR)


INGREDIENTS

1 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1 ¼ cups milk
6 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
6 eggs
Kosher salt, to taste
¾ cup flour
3 cups black or sour cherries (if you're planning ahead of time, soak these in brandy overnight in the fridge...divine)
Confectioners' sugar, for dusting

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Heat oven to 425°. Grease a 9″ cast-iron skillet or baking dish with butter; set aside. Combine milk, sugar, vanilla, eggs, and salt in a bowl. Whisk until ingredients are mixed in together, then add flour and whip until smooth.

2. Pour batter into buttered skillet, then distribute cherries evenly over top. Bake until a skewer inserted into batter comes out clean and a golden brown crust has formed on top and bottom of clafoutis, about 30 minutes. Dust with confectioners' sugar or drizzle honey before serving. 

The batter is custardy, a little reminiscent of crepes, and the cherries burst open of their own accord, spilling ruby juice over the top of the clafoutis. It looked like a masterpiece but took almost no time. 



Happy eating!

Celina.



No comments:

Post a Comment