Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ode to Radicchio

Tightly furled orb of
Rosy royal purple,
Your leaves not only cling to
One another, but they stretch across
The entire diameter
Of your round body,
Hugging the next leaf desperately,
With abandon,
Even slipping under others
so as to make removal difficult.
This is protection,
This is love,
This is relentless stubbornness;
Radicchio is stubbornness at its
Most
Beautiful.
As my fingers tug,
Your leaves tatter in protest
As if screaming,
“I do not want to leave!”
but if I tug and peel apart
torturously,
slowly
carefully, patiently,
I will discover the tenderness
In the center
And I will smile because
Your heart, O tenacious radicchio,
Is as tender and trusting
As a newborn baby.
This is what you’re hiding
This is why the adult leaves
Upon your body and
Still deep within layers
Expand and cling to every part,
Resisting exploration
In order to protect this:
Sweet lavender clamshell leaves,
Miniscule,
Loosely bundled into your core.
They are too trusting,
Too naïve,
And they fall apart in my hands,
Not yet old enough to be bitter
To be protective
To be stubborn

To be scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment