Saturday, June 15, 2013

Olive Oil, Egg, Toast, Thyme

There is something distinctly unique about a simple perfectly cooked egg. I'm talking viscous golden-orange yolk reminiscent of a dripping August sun; firm but yielding, maybe even crispy, whites, pure as snow set against a backdrop of hot olive oil and warm toast, perfumed with fresh flowering thyme.
At least, that's how I enjoyed my egg today. Just one (one is perfect) cooked in a generous glug of olive oil (not extra virgin, see note), flipped over after two minutes to achieve that delicate white blanket that preserves the soft, soft yolk; then laid over a slice of toasted potato bread and decorated with freshest thyme sprigs from the garden, tops blooming with tiny, teasing mauve flowers. 
I break the yolk and admire the perfection of this egg that I have cooked, my egg, just for me. I take a bite and burn the roof of my mouth just a bit on the layer of still-hot oil, but no matter! This egg is worth it. I take another bite strategically to catch the river of molten gold before it hits the plate. The thyme is like a fresh breeze in my mouth, chasing the rich yolk and dainty white; woodsy, lemony, tasting the freshest color of green. In no time, all I have left on my plate are a few drops of sunshine that were too quick for me. Shamelessly, I drag a greedy finger across and collect them, savoring the satisfaction.



(Note: Extra virgin olive oil is super nice to use, but not the best for cooking, and especially not for cooking with high heat. It is delicate and has a low smoking point, so it can burn quite easily. For a flavorful oil that you can heat, use regular olive oil. It's usually marked as "pure" or "light" olive oil. This does not mean it's less fatty than other olive oils, it's just lighter in color because it's not the first press. Either way, olive oil is really really good for you, so try it instead of butter when frying eggs, and in salad instead of ranch. )


2 comments: