Thursday, June 20, 2013

Leftover Steak (Pot Pie)

The summer brings with it the grilling season. And grilling season brings with it an affinity for some yummy, charred on the outside-juicy on the inside steaks. But if your family is anything like my family, one person (the grill master) overestimates everybody else's appetite for steak and we end up with lots and lots of grilled steak leftovers. Try as you may, leftover steak just isn't as good as a steak straight off the grill. So as I peered into my fridge the other day and saw the big container of cold steak sitting there, I decided we really needed to use this up. And being the poor, lazy college kid that I am, I didn't want to get any extra ingredients from the store. So I came up with a use for whatever we had lying around: steak pot pie.




Ingredients:
-some leftover steaks (preferably not super well done, or they'll get really really tough when you cook them a second time)
-frozen (or fresh!) veggies. I used peas, corn, and green beans.
-a jar of beef gravy
-some sort of crust. I used crescent rolls.
Method:
Basically, I just chopped up the steaks while they were cold and trimmed off any fat or gristle. Then I thawed the veggies, mixed the steak, veg, and gravy together in a pot to warm up. Finally, I threw the mixture into a pot pie baking dish, unrolled the crescent rolls on top, and garnished with a few sprigs of fresh thyme in an attempt to class it up. Bake at 375 F for about 18 minutes, or until the crust is browned. I don't suggest covering it with foil afterwards, it takes away the crispiness of the crust.


It turned out pretty good! It definitely wasn't the most creative, inventive, or amazing dish I've ever made. But when you're scrunched for time and you've gotta use up some things, it's nice to be able to come up with something homey and comforting.


Dessert was a fruit salad with whatever fruits we had (Bosc pears, apples, cantaloupe, and grapes) with some Parmeggiano and aged goat cheese (I used a Romanian kind called Kashkaval) to top. Fruit and cheese are a match made in heaven.


Pro Tip: soak sliced apples in a solution of a couple splashes of lemon juice+cold water. Keeps them from browning without making them too acidic.

No comments:

Post a Comment