Friday, May 17, 2013

On Magdoos


            Famished, sleepy, and late, I hurried into the kitchen, eyes searching for victuals even before I had opened the refrigerator. Cereal, no, eggs, no, stuffed squash, no, yogurt, no, ahhh magdoos, yes yes yes. A tear of the pita bread, a pop of the opening lid, a scooping of the salty, preserved, glistening aubergines, a primal sound of satisfaction escaping through closed, chewing mouth. The briny, vinegary baby eggplant flesh broke easily to give the filling center stage: walnuts, red chilies, and garlic collide and meld together with fruity olive oil to paint a crunchy, heated, unctuous landscape of flavors upon my tongue. I forgot the clock, forgot the work, forgot all else so effortlessly and relished a few assertive morsels of something so simple, and so exactly what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment